As Director and/or Team member your objective is to raise public awareness of our church—its members, its mission, and its message; work to get church activities and events noted in the media; and help to get the church’s views included in the news adequately and accurately.
To do this effectively, the Director/Team members will:
- Report church activities to local radio, television, and newspapers by submitting news releases and public service announcements, arranging for interviews, writing letters to the editor on matters of concern to the church, writing or assigning feature stories or columns, arranging for photo coverage of congregational activities or events, and serving as a source of information for public media representatives.
- Look for opportunities, story ideas, and current issues that concern your church and community.
- Seek to become personally acquainted with newspaper editors, broadcast assignment editors, religion reporters, and community relations personnel.
- Develop initial contacts with press kits, nurture contacts with phone calls, and follow up contacts with hand-written note cards.
News and Information
It’s vital to keep church members informed about upcoming activities, and equally important to share church news with conference communication directors and the larger Adventist family. To do this effectively, Director/Team members will:
- Write articles about upcoming events and maintain church calendar on church website.
- Submit articles and photos to conference communication director for conference
newsletters or sections in union papers.
- Maintain an attractive bulletin board in the church lobby highlighting church activities, news, photos, and developments.
Appropriate Spiritual Gifts:
The Communications Director/Team members will need to devote at least 2-3 hours per month to inform the church/community/conference of church activities.
- Oversees the maintenance of church website.
- Ensures that website represents church’s mission statement and teachings
- Works with and informs pastoral staff regarding any significant updates and revisions
- Ensures that church calendar is updated.
- Provides pictures on website for activities such as VBS, school, social, etc.
- Develops new ways to access sermons off of website.
- Coordinator will meet with assistants on a regular basis to divide up tasks.
- Ensures that website represents church’s mission statement and teachings.
- Works with Coordinator in maintaining church calendar and providing pictures on website.
- Explores new ways of communicating church’s mission and beliefs on web such as pastor’s sermons, articles, etc.
- Meets with Coordinator on a regular basis to divide up tasks.
Appropriate Spiritual Gifts:
The Website Team will need to devote at least 1-2 hours per week depending on time required for special programs.